Saturday, July 21, 2012

RUN NO. 2291 DADAP - 17 JUL 2012

RUN NO. 2291
FRONT HORN: Madmarg  BACK HORN: Squeak

It was looking like this week’s hash would be a repeat of last week with pouring rain most of Monday night and all Tuesday morning, but luckily the skies had brightened a little by 5.15. On Monday night I got a text from my co-hare to say she had been down with something-itis since Saturday and wouldn’t make the hash. With the GM also away, having a great time in Puerto Galera, it looked like I was a one woman band tonight – run the shout up, write the words for next week and collect the signs. A text came from our hare, Trailblazer to say “first check paper is timetable” (why is it the last 2 weeks’ hares have had difficulty using the YELLOW paper they were given for first check?) and “enjoy the waters”, which could have meant enjoy the beautiful waterfall vistas or have fun wading through thigh deep, swollen rivers! Only time would tell.

The horn sounded on the dot of 5.15 and about 15 runners ventured into the jungle. We turned right off the road up a clay trail where someone had been busy cutting the long grass, to make easy going for all of us hens. We soon emerged onto open terrain, where I met Glamour on her way back. She said she didn’t get to first check, so it must have been a good way in. We passed through a bamboo grove and the trail had lots of very big dried leaves and trippy bits for quite a while.

Clearly these English teachers don’t know left from right. Just behind me I hear the call “Thorns on the right” (Squeak), followed shortly by “You mean left” (Rozi)! First check was found quickly and was called through with a rather strangled sounding horn. Soon after, I thought somebody had had a serious fall, not far behind me, but it turned out to be a tree crashing onto the track and down a nearby bank – luckily, no one was hurt.

After a very slippery, tricky descent off a ridge, we get to our first stream. Up the other side, Linzi tries a bit of stunt work, hanging from a tree limb when she slipped. We then headed on right to another wee ridge with streams on both sides. This then led down a very treacherous slope to our first waterfall. Along a bit further, we come to a rope to help us down a much gentler slope – I was thinking, why didn’t they put that rope further back, where I had much more trouble scrambling down in the slippery conditions?

Soon we came to another longer, gently sloping waterfall, where Linzi and I stopped for a much needed rest, while the whereabouts of the on paper for second check was found – well I needed a rest, even if my much younger, fitter niece didn’t. After that, the trails seemed easier going, although Linzi managed to nearly disappear in deep water on one of the river crossings. Much of the rest remains a blur to me, trying to keep up with my co-hen, There were a few more river crossings, more bamboo and another beautiful waterfall. It was a good workout for me, but I was pleased to be out. Thank you hares, for a very scenic run.

Then time for the shout up and I find out we have not only a virgin hare but a virgin hasher all in one (Trailblazer’s daughter, Sue-Anne). “She made me come”, she says. Anyway, thanks for helping out – we hope you enjoyed it. My fellow hens were kind to me this week, compared to the noisy rabble of last week’s shout up, so running the proceedings was a cinch. Satu Lagi informed us she would be away for the next month, so any hares needed to text  or email  her to confirm the on site for the tent in plenty of time. Erin said to make sure the words were sent to henswords and not Anna’s email address, otherwise she would not get them. Thanks for coming to the fore and doing a great job of the words.
Then came calls for the hashit. Karlene was expecting to get her dues for carelessly leaving her hash shoes behind at Serasa. During the shout up, another contender emerged, when a mobile phone was heard ringing the guilty verdict before the owner even had a chance to defend herself – aka Mad Marg. With both the previous hashit holders (Hash Hound & Sarah) in absentia, a large bottle of water was found to do the deed. It was very well taken by both hens and Karlene, who had stripped down to the bare minimum, even took great delight when she found it was warm water and proceeded to take a shower. It was soon time for makan and we all enjoyed the great varieties of food brought by everyone. The only glitch – Mad Marg forgot to bring the plates from last week. Not a problem. All and sundry quickly found a serviette, piece of foil, lid or container to help out and eating that wonderful pasta of Pee Wee’s with our hands didn’t matter a bit. All in all, another great night.

On on, Sue

HARES: Sue/Alison & Cheryl

No comments: